Train literature

Reviews and notes about railroad related literature

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I love to wander, whether it is around the neighborhood or the world. I currently live outside of Savannah, Georgia, near the salt marsh of my roots but have lived all around the United States. Check me out at my other blog, too: www.thepulpitandthepen.com.

Monday, January 31, 2005

Books about Trains and Places

As a historian working primarily within the 19th century, I love railroads. That century, now long past, witness the speed of transportation increase exponentially. In the United States, the century began with people moving no faster than a horse could carry them. Canals were considered high tech. By the end of the century, one could speed across the country on iron rails. Although trains have given way to automobiles and airplanes, they are still important in our economy and in our psyche. The sound of a train reminds us that there’s a new place to explore down the track. The purpose of this blog is to explore "places" through the lens of the railroad.

2 Comments:

Blogger kontan said...

this is a recent interest for me. i had a prof this past summer that is interested in trains so i guess i started taking notice of various aspects. spent labor day in st. louis and took a few hours at the transportation museum. i'll link a few pics from there on my blog. it is definitely a place i want to visit again sometime when i can do it without dragging the rest of my family along!

Thursday, October 13, 2005 7:38:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The guys I deplore are the owners of the old Maine Central and Boston and maine in the Northeast. Since they are under a DOT grounding for their airline, they have changed the railroad name to Pan Am Railways. They are crooks! On a brighter note, I have a book on Santa Fe you are welcomed to if you want it. Just e-mail me.

Thursday, October 19, 2006 10:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home